Friday 19 April 2013

Wild, go wild, go wild in the country ...

At last there are enough wildflowers out in the garden to make it worthwhile to photograph them.
I had a wander with my camera and caught my top 5 ... well, only five if I am honest !

In descending order:

Top banana  ... the Snakeshead Fritillary (Fritillaria Meleagris)


You would almost think it was some little exotic from somewhere hot and gorgeous, but no, it likes to grow here in the uk. Its Latin name is 'Fritillaria Meleagris' which means 'spotted like a Guinea Fowl', which I rather like ! In its natural habitat it likes open meadowland and can become naturalised in grass.
Watch out though because Lily Beetles love it .

Number 2 ... our native Primrose (Primula Vulgaris).


It lives next to the pond where the soil is fairly damp, and it is clearly happy. Primroses like shade, hedgerow bottoms, banks and woodland. They are one of the first harbingers of Spring.

Number 3 ... the Cowslip (Primula Veris).


As you can see by the leaf shape and, more obviously, by the name (!), cowslips and primroses are both in the Primula family, and share some characteristics. In the wild, they love open meadow land, and are a great source of nectar for bees and butterflies.

Number 4 ... the native violet ( Viola Oderata ... maybe !)


Firstly, apologies for the photo, which shows my finger in sharper focus than the violet !

Secondly, I am not really sure if my violets are native or not, as I don't know where they came from, but I know I didn't buy them, and that they just appeared ! In the wild, they grow tucked away in banks, hedgerow bottoms, and margins of woodland. It seems to grow pretty much where it likes in my garden ! And of course, they smell fantastic !

No 5 ... Marsh Marigold (Caltha Palustris)


This is in the shallows of the pond, where it is happiest. It is a member of the  Ranunculus genus, as are Buttercups, as you can see by the flower type and colour. Insects love them for their pollen,

4 comments:

  1. Lovely blooms in the wild. Can't wait to see some in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments ! Hopefully you won't have a long wait to see your wildflowers !

      Delete
  2. Beautiful - but I am intrigued by the fritillaria. It's amazing to me that a plant can be colored like that naturally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't look real, does it. It looks as if someone has spent hours painting it ! They are very hardy and not at all exotic, in reality.

      Delete

All Gardening Sites