Sunday 14 April 2013

Theatre, darling, but not as we know it ...

There are some plants which have a special aura, and have a seemingly immense power over people. Think of dahlias, chrysanthemeums and sweet peas, for example, people love them so much, they change the course of their lives. There is also great flower power and magic in ... the Auricula.

The Victorians loved them so much that they built 'Theatres' to display them to advantage and apparantly miners and weavers in the North, used to carry the theatres on their back to Auricula shows . Now, I don't think that is how the Auriculas travelled to the display I saw today, but they were treated, I am sure, with the same amount of reverence !

We were in the North East for the weekend, and I couldn't resist a 'horticultural opportunity' when it presented itself. In a windblown marquee, in Saltwell park, Gateshead, the Northern Section of the Auricula & Primula Society, were displaying some lovely plants, and also selling some little guys !


They looked good enough to eat !


I have never grown Auriculas before, but have always thought I would enjoy them very much, probably too much ...  probably slipping into obsessive behaviour ...



I got 3 each of Red Gauntlet, Avril Hunter and Lilac Domino. They will probably flower next year, assuming I don't manage to kill them off first !


I was given lots of good advice about how to treat them nicely, and directed towards  www.auriculas.org.uk for further help.

My 9 new babies would be lost in a Theatre, but as soon as I have acquired enough to fill the 'stage' I would love to set one up. Until then I will overwinter them in my unheated greenhouse, putting them outside in the Spring. I was considering putting them into terracotta pots but was advised that plastic is actually preferred as they stop excessive drying out in summer.







6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice visit, I am growing both sweet peas and dahlias although dahlias might have gone in too early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you growing the Dahlias from seed Julie ? I am growing some 'Bishop's Children' this year, from seed, and they are finally getting into their stride, after sulking in the cold ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you have slipped the plastic pots into clay ones for a much nicer look. I also have some clay pots that are glazed on the outside. Do you suppose those would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glazed pots would certainly reduce the rate of drying out in summer Ricki, but don't know whether they might trap moisture in , in winter. It would be interesting the hear the views of others, especially those who are a lot further down the road to Auricula obsession than myself !!

      Delete
  4. Well thats a slippery slope you have put yourself on!! Weirdly auriculas seem to be very popular 'up north'. I have some more of those seedlings coming into flower and so far they all seem to be the same colour. I may just have to purchase a few more at the Malvern Spring show:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very slippery downhill slope I think, Helen ! It is probably too late to be saved! I used to be a stamp collector as a child and some of the same character traits apply to both. Yet another thing in their favour is that they are so SMALL ! I'd have to think twice if it was Viburnums or something, but Auriculas tuck away very nicely !

      Delete

All Gardening Sites