Friday 26 April 2013

I'm feeling Plant Envy ...

I'm finding Blogging very addictive. So addictive, in fact, that this morning, when the sun was shining and the birds were singing and the weeds were growing, I was not where I should have been. No, I was inside, on the laptop Blog hopping and country hopping.

 I must admit to a pang of envy, as I visited wonderful blogs in far away places, far away from the icy winds and heavy grey clouds we so often have in England. The flowers in the photos on these blogs were truly stunning, exotic blooms, and I wished, for a second, that I gardened there and not here, in cold old England. There, I've admitted it now!

Then I took my camera and went out into the garden with my camera and looked - really LOOKED at what is in flower now, in the garden. I realised that the flowers here are every bit as beautiful as flowers anywhere in the world ! We also are lucky enough to be able to grow a vast variety of flowers from different parts of the world, due to our climate.



This lovely Aquilegia is a bit of a cheat, on my part, as they are not yet in bloom in the garden. This one is still in the pot I bought it in from the nursery, and is further on because it has had some protection. Although I have Aquilegias, and their self-seeded offspring all over the garden, the colours are becoming a little washed out. I loved this strong colour, with its dark buds, so thought I would add it to the gang ! I will save the seed from it and grow more next year.


This lovely Bergenia is years and years old. It flowers reliably every year with no reward except a forkful of horse manure .



The Fritillaria must be one of the most unusually patterned flowers there is ! Truly fascinating. The white one intrigues me, as I am unsure whether it will remain this colour, or change as it ages. Maybe someone with more experience of growing them can advise me ?


A couple of days ago I was delighted to see the first white flash, from the kitchen window, indicating that these blooms were open. This is Magnolia Stellata, the less showy cousin of the popular magnolia Soulangeana. I must admit that I prefer these more delicate, star-like flowers. The tree is still young, and this is the most prolific it has been to date. You can see the hairy flower buds, to the right of the flowers, and they appear, tantalisingly, in the midst of winter, with the promise of Spring to follow.


Yes, even  the humble Aubretia looks exotic in close up! The stalwart of the sixties rockery is still to be found in most gardens, slipping over a wall, or edging a bed. This is a larger flowered variety than the usual. I give mine a severe haircut once it finishes flowering to keep it from becoming leggy.



If I had to choose one plant to take to a desert island it would probably be this one. To me it has everything - year round colour and form, fantastic foliage, interesting flowers,and a mad contrast between the two! It is hardy, easy and reliable. Who could ask for more ?


This little primrose has such delicately coloured flowers, and such a good flowering season.


These naughty Honesty plants self seed all over the place, and I am loathe to pull them out. By early Autumn, the 'silver pennies' of the seed cases give additional interest to forgotten nooks and crannies. 


The first of my tulips - elegant, sophisticated, understated, fabulous ...


I wish we had smell-o-vision ! These Hyacinths smell wonderful ! I have a growing clump of pink hyacinths, which started life as an indoor display of 2 bulbs in a bowl. When they had finished flowering, I planted them outside, and they must like it, because there are more every year.

Well, my plant-envy has all gone now, and I am happy once again with the great diversity we can grow in our climate. Still a wee bit envious of all that sun though ...











12 comments:

  1. its a case of the grass is greener on the other side, although it isnt. Many gardeners around the world are jealous of the range of plants we can grow and yet we are still dis-satisfied. I hanker after exotic South American plants which just dont work in my garden! But now I am looking at my daffodil and blossom filled garden and I wouldnt swap it for anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too hanker after the exotics, and indeed we do grow as many as we can, but protecting them over winter is difficult . Have you visited Will Giles' garden in Norwich, Helen ? It is fantastic and hard to believe that it is in the uk. He is so inventive with planting and his garden is packed with unusual plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are pretty enough to stand up to anybody's, and I'm glad you got over the envy thing. Our cameras all lie by focusing on the good parts and cutting out the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your comments ricki, the stab of envy was very brief ! In my garden it can be a good thing that cameras cut out the rest as there is often a big, bad weed just out of shot !

      Delete
  4. and here I am Jane in the cold Canadian maritimes wishing I could have England's warm climate! the grass is always greener isn't it :) Your checkered fritillaria are particularly beautiful. I've always had a soft spot for those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankuou Marguerite , it s all relative isn't it ! I suppose the key to contentment is to understand your own micro climate and plant accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the middle of a hot, dry, glaring Aussie summer, I have garden envy for cooler, damper climes, believe me! But I think that wherever we live, all is forgiven in spring. I agree with you about Magnolia stellata - it's my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we all want what we have not got, sometimes . It is the thought of all those plants we either can't grow, or grow only with great difficulty. I love agaves and we do grow them but they need such a lot of nurturing through our cold damp winters, whereas I bet they romp away with you !

      Delete
  7. What lovely blooms! Thank you for your post. I admit I was shocked that an English gardener might feel such a way -- you over there with your gorgeous, abundant gardens, summers with reasonable temperatures, and legions of greenhouses, garden shows, and famous gardens. I've been considering writing a complaining post, actually, and I shall think of you, Jane! As for blogging when you should be gardening, it seems to me that you manage both very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Anastasia, you are too kind ! I look forward to reading your 'Post of complaint '. Has your weather improved to allow you to get out there and garden ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. chequered fritillary is way up on top of my garden envy list. With blue Himalayan poppies. And yellow Welsh poppies. But I aim to bloom where I am planted.

    Today I was cutting back my informal hedge of Dusty Miller. Which has in weeks gone from maybe to too much of a good thing. (Was a lovely sunny day, but chilly tonight, there's snow on the mountain)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Diana, fritillary was way up on my list too until a couple of years ago, as I thought it was really difficult to grow. Not true as it loves our soil ! Trouble is, the dreaded Lily Beetle loves it even more than I do and can decimate it in a matter of hours !

    ReplyDelete

All Gardening Sites